Saturday, April 24, 2010

Across the Border

I just started my journey around Europe with the Interrail ticket, leaving yesterday from home and making it through Niedersachsen and across the border into Holland. The sun was just rising as I finally got across the border and made my way to Den Haag, a voyage that took me no longer than 3 hours. I guess I'll have gotten used to the small countries (Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg) before suddenly having to commute more than a couple hours to different cities.. but that's alright.
When I got into Holland I noticed several major differences. The first was the trains. Maybe because the Interrail ticket allowed me to upgrade to Intercity trains from regional ones, the trains in Holland have seemed much more comfortable.. almost like the InterCityExpress trains that are the top trains in Germany.
And when I looked out the windows, other things struck me. Like in Germany, there are isolated cities and towns surrounded by countryside, but the nature of the countryside is different. There is water everywhere.. whether in canals, ponds, rivers, or reservoirs, there seems to be no shortage whatsoever of the substance. I guess that happens when a country is below sea level. The water is used to irrigate fields, but not edible plants like I have seen mostly before. I have failed to notice much corn or other crops, instead marveling at the enormous quantity of livestock.. cows, sheep, and horses grazing on the grass, which is carved up by small canals.
I'm heading into the city now, but will certainly return with another post probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment