Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rotterdam

I stayed in the Hague for a few hours, the political nature of the city was clear to me as well as the international feel. Many streets there had parking spots reserved specially for the diplomats from different countries, but there were some old castles and churches that are in most major cities.
After that I returned to the train station and took a train to Rotterdam, a major economic center in Holland and home to Europe's biggest port. It is on the Maas River, and the river actually divides the city into northern and southern sides, a division that has a deeper connotation to the people there. The south is normally considered to be more working class and the north is the more upper class section, and people living in Rotterdam notice the divide clearly. The two sections also have separate soccer teams with a fierce rivalry between them, not unlike the Chicago Cubs and White Sox. Sparta is the team representing the south of Rotterdam, and Feyenoord represents the northern part of the city, and games between them are giant sources of excitement and tension.
I stayed at a hostel tonight, the Room hostel near the Erasmus bridge, one of the dominant pieces of architecture in the city. They gave me a welcome letter with a list of services and rules, and I was happy to find that breakfast was included there. After checking in and locking my stuff in a metal cage that they provided under my bed, I took a walk and went to the Euromast, a 185 meter high tower from which one can see the entire city. I got an audio tour there too, and that is where I learned about the history of the city and some of the things worth seeing. After that I returned to the hostel and saw that most of the other guests in the same room as me (there were 7 other people in the room) were already sleeping, and I then went to sleep myself.
When I woke up I took a walk around the city. I didn't have a chance to go to the famous Boijmans van Beuningens art museum, but I did see the cube houses, actual residential buildings that look like normal houses except that they are tilted and made to look like they are standing on one corner. I will stay in the city a little longer, but I'm hoping to make it to Brussels today so it won't be for too long.
The weather today is wonderful, already in the morning it was warm so I hope it stays like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment